What makes the Ozernaya River so different is its nature.
The OZ is huge spring creek over 120 miles long running from west to east directly into the Bering Sea. 120 miles of perfect Rainbow Trout water. It receives huge runs of salmon that feed the already incredible biomass of the river.
- Kings to 80 plus pounds and the first sockeyes arrive in late June and early July. They are followed by the July Chum salmon run and Pink salmon. Each pulse of salmon from the lower river brings with it schools of rainbows all the way from tidewater.
- August brings us one of the largest runs of Silver salmon found on planet earth.
- These are big Silvers that we have weighed to 22 pounds. Late in the month of August we see a run of fall Chum salmon.
All these immense runs of salmon pour into the river enriching it for our target species. Rainbow Trout
The Ozernaya has been called the greatest trout stream of all time. We fish 100 miles of river all to ourselves.
We believe the Ozernaya is the crown jewel of Kamchatka; a spring creek boasting an unbelievable number of large Rainbows averaging well over 20 inches.
Our creel census in 2014 showed our 88 anglers landed 7,953 rainbows averaging 22 inches over a 9 week period.
Easy to wade and gin clear, much of the fishing is visual.
The Ozernaya has every single ingredient for large numbers of big Rainbow Trout—aquatic bug life, salmon, and a large sculpin population.
The Oz and its two incredible tributaries are easily waded and full of wide shouldered trout that have grown old and huge foraging on mice, mayflies and salmon.
Our rivers do have populations of Trophy Grayling rivaling any in Alaska, or for that matter, the world.Grayling are wonderful fish for the dry fly enthusiast; they come readily to the surface for any skated caddis during the innumerable seasonal hatches.
- The Oz program is supported by five a-frame guest cabins.
- A new shower facility as well as sparkling clean flush toilet outhouses.
- The dining facility is spacious and our home when not on the river.
Ozernaya River Lodge