What makes the Ozernaya River so different is its nature.
The OZ is huge spring creek over 120 miles long running from west to east directly into the Bering Sea. In 2019 we had the largest runs of all five species of salmon on the Ozernaya River in memory. This simply means the fishing for big rainbows in 2020 will be outstanding. Call or email about availability.
All these immense runs of salmon pour into the river enriching it for our target species. Rainbow Trout.
- Kings to 80 plus pounds and the first sockeyes arrive in late June and early July. They are followed by the July Chum salmon run and Pink salmon.
- August brings us one of the largest runs of Silver salmon found on planet earth.
- These are big Silvers that we have weighed to 22 pounds. Late in the month of August we see a run of fall Chum salmon.
The Ozernaya has been called the greatest trout stream of all time. Our creel census in 2014 showed our 88 anglers landed 7,953 rainbows averaging 22 inches over a 9 week period.
We believe the Ozernaya is the crown jewel of Kamchatka.
Easy to wade and gin clear, much of the fishing is visual.
The Ozernaya has every single ingredient for large Rainbow Trout—bugs, salmon, and a large sculpin population. On many days during the season we will also catch big Rainbows on DRY FLIES!
The Oz and its two incredible tributaries are easily waded and full of wide shouldered trout that have grown old and huge foraging on mice, mayflies and salmon.
Our rivers do have populations of Trophy Grayling rivaling any in Alaska, or for that matter, the world.
- Grayling are wonderful fish for the dry fly enthusiast; they come readily to the surface for any skated caddis during the innumerable seasonal hatches.The Oz program is supported by five a-frame guest cabins.
- A new shower facility as well as sparkling clean flush toilet outhouses.
- The dining facility is lovely and our home when not on the river.
Ozernaya River Lodge